Monday, November 19, 2012

What a Wonderful World

This week we celebrate the holiday of Thanksgiving. I believe it's fair to say that most adults would say that Thanksgiving is their favorite holiday. What's not to like? There's football, parades, crisp fall weather, delicious traditional foods, family, friends and no gifts required. The holiday gives us an opportunity to pause and reflect on our gratitude for the blessings in our lives. Preparing the meal for a crowd can be a challenge. Shopping and cleaning can be tiring. But we can flip the annoyances into blessings of their own. I'll start my list.

1. I am thankful for the opportunity to cook the holiday dinner because it means I have family and
    friends who will join me at the table.
2. I am thankful for the mess to clean after a party because it means I have been surrounded by
    loved ones.
3. I am thankful if my clothes are snug after a meal because it means I have had enough to eat.
4. I am thankful for the rooms that need cleaning and the lawn that needs tending because it means
    I have a home and garden.
5. I am thankful for the smile lines and crows feet on my face because it means I've laughed
    and lived in the beautiful warm sunshine.
6. I am thankful for (some) of the political rhetoric because it means I live in a country with freedom 
    of speech.
7. I am thankful for the loads of laundry because it means I have clothes to wear.
8. I am thankful for the sore muscles after exercising because it means I am healthy and strong.
9. I am thankful for the alarm that sounds early every morning because it means I am alive.

I would like to share my most precious holiday recipe- Pumpkin Bread. The recipe was given to my mother some 45 years ago. Long before pumpkin became trendy, this was a family favorite. It's been gifted to countless friends, teachers, service workers and  kids away at college. I hope you will enjoy it as much as my family has.

Claudia's Pumpkin Bread
 
      3 1/3 cups flour
      2 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      1/2 tsp. ginger
      1/4 tsp. ground cloves
      3 cups sugar
      1 cup canola oil
      4 eggs
      2/3 cup water
      15 oz. canned pumpkin
 
  In a large bowl mix all the ingredients. Pour into oiled and floured pans. Bake at 350 degrees,
approximately 50 minutes, until browned and center tests clean.

Makes 2 regular loaves or 5 mini loaves ( perfect for gifting!)
 
The Empty Nesters wish you and yours a beautiful and delicious holiday.
 
   


1 comment:

Ashley Greeno said...

Yum! I LOVE pumpkin bread! Thanks so much for linking up :)